LAB KIT USE
Follow these steps to properly use your Lab-Kit:
1. Mount the stage as indicated in the instructions on the packaging. Remove the blue protective film from the surfaces of the stage components.
2. If you use the Ultra lens, mount the thick (4mm) transparent support for the prepared slide, in order to reduce the working distance (distance between the lens and the slide). If you use the Micro lens, mount the 3mm-thick transparent plate.
3. Vertically align the light source under the sample.
4. Place the smartphone, with your Blips well stuck and aligned onto the camera, on the stage; then move it for finding the sample within the field of view of the camera.
5. Slightly tilt the smartphone to understand if the sample is too far, or too close to the lens.
6. Shift the smartphone up or down along the sloping part of the stage, in order to find the proper distance between the sample and the lens.
7. If the distance between the lens and the sample is too far in any position of the glass slide (it may happen for some smartphone models), use the provided rubber bands to lift up the slide, as indicated on the card inside the box.
8. Align the light source under the sample and repeat the steps 3-6 until the sample is well in focus. The light should be with highest intensity in the center of the field of view, under the sample. If the sensor is saturated also when the lens is well aligned, then switch off the external light source and turn on the smartphone torch.
9. Digitally zoom the sample for performing a fine tuning of the focal distance and of the light alignment; repeat the previous steps, if needed.
||Tiny air bubbles or dust under the lens (between lens and glass)
||Accurately clean the glass and the rear side of the lens; stick the lens onto the glass, pressing a little bit on it to avoid air bubbles trapping
||a. Out of focus
b. Grease on the lens or on the slide
c. Scratched lens surface
d. Misaligned light source
|a. Repeat the suggested steps 3-9 and tilt the smartphone in order to find the best working distance
b. Clean the lens and the slide with a piece of cloth
c. In order to avoid this problem, take care not to rub the lenses onto hard materials
d. Shift the light source under the sample until it is in the center of the field of view
||Bad software balancing of the luminosity / short dynamic range
||Restart the App, with the light source well aligned under the camera. For few smartphone models the light source may saturate the sensor even with proper positioning. In this case, light up the sample only switching on the torch of the smartphone acting on the flash icon in the BLIPS-SMO application.